- James Legg of Fast Preview fame will tackle the Layout Panorama Model mentored by Bruno Postle, improving the handling of stacks.
- Tim Nugent of Celeste fame will tackle Straight Line Detection for Lens Calibration mentored by Tom Sharpless, improving the handling of fisheye lenses.
- Lukáš Jirkovský, too young in 2008, has become a significant contributor to our community over the past year and will tackle Ghost Removal for Enfuse, mentored by Andrew Mihal.
- Dev Ghosh will add Mosaic Mode to Hugin/Panotools, mentored by Daniel German.
- Last but not least Yulia Kotseruba will add functionality like multiple blending to Lighttwist, mentored by Sébastien Roy.
I am particularly proud of the collaboration with Sébastien Roy on Lighttwist. First, because I believe there is a cultural fit between his Vision3D laboratory and the Hugin community. Second, because it is good to see academics releasing the result of their research (which, let’s not forget, is often funded with public taxpayer’s money) to the general public under an Open Source license. And last but not least, because I think that Lighttwist is the natural extension to Hugin. I would dare to advance that Lighttwist is to panoramic photography in 2009 what QuickTimeVR was to it in 1999. In a private email exchange Ken Turkowski, inventor of QuickTimeVR and one of our team, acknowledge the analogy.
Then there is a sixth project that I care about. We have teamed up once again (and we hope to be luckier this time) with VideoLAN to bring QTVR playback to this popular media player. This time with an extra bonus: Wiimote control. León Moctezuma, who in 2007 added SPi-V playback to FreePV, will build on his expertise of FreePV and add the Wiimote on top of it, mentored by Antoine Cellerier of VideoLAN.
What’s next for the students? this article I wrote exactly one year ago applies.
Good Luck, students, I hope to congratulate you all in a few months.
Filed under: Google Summer of Code, hugin, Lighttwist, VideoLAN | Tagged: Andrew Mihal, Antoine Cellerier, Bruno Postle, Daniel M. German, Dev Ghosh, James Legg, Ken Turkowski, Leon Moctezuma, Lukáš Jirkovský, Sébastien Roy, Tim Nugent, Tom Sharpless, Yulia Kotseruba |